Sunday, April 22, 2012

The joy of living high up

I live in an apartment on the 9th floor, and from my bedroom's full size windows I get an amazing view of the city.
Whenever I decide to go out I go to my room to analyse the weather outside. Since I am too dumb to understand the weather guide when it tells me the speed of the wind and amount of precipitation outside I prefer to rely on my own judgemental skills instead.
The tuincentrum (garden centre) in front of my house has mounted some banners outside it. If these banners are vibrating vigorously I know its windy, if they are gently swaying, I know its safe to go out.
Then there is the conundrum of how to dress up to go out. The inside room temperature of my house remains 21 degree throughout the year, which makes it hard to fathom how cold or warm it is outside. Again, I go to my bedroom window, and this time look at the people already outside.
The oldies would always be overdressed, the youngsters would always be underdressed. I keep looking until I find someone whose dressing sense I can rely on and then decide how many layers of clothing I need to wear while going out today. Not only that, but when I am really bored, my bedroom window becomes a big tv screen for me. I can choose which floor of the opposite building to watch. My favourite being the top floor, where I see a baby boy growing up to different stages. Its amazing how fast these little ones grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment